Crystal's Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: vampires, high-school, magic
Read from August 27 to September 03, 2011 — I own a copy

*DO NOT READ THIS BEFORE YOU READ ALL OF THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY BOOKS. BLOODLINES WILL SPOIL THE BOOKS IN THAT SERIES.*

I just want to say something before I review this book. I feel like my ratings are harsher than they use to be, and I think that's because I've read so many books in this genre that it's hard not to compare one book to the others. The thing is I couldn't stop myself from comparing Bloodlines to Vampire Academy so please don't hate me if you think I compare them too much.

I think Bloodlines has the potential to become a great series. I don't think it lived up to the high exceptions the hype for the series created though. If I didn't have such high exceptions for this book at first, I think I would have liked it more because it was a really good book. It had the right elements of a paranormal book series, and Richelle Mead executed those elements well. She's a great writer, and I love her writing voice. She's witty, smart, and she still includes those petty high school dramas that some people actually go through. For example, one second Sydney is this professional Alchemist, and the next second she's trying to figure out the social cues in high school.

People should still read because even though it may be under the shadow of Vampire Academy, it's still a good book by itself. I should get better as the series goes on. That's what happened with Vampire Academy.

I like how in this series we learn more about the Alchemists and spirit users because when Mead finished Vampire Academy, spirit users were only just then coming out publicly, and still didn't know much about them.

I almost wanted to hurt Mead for making another spirit bond because I though we were through with that, but if it helps us learn something we don't know about spirits bonds already, I guess I could forgive her.

(view spoiler)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

08/28/2011 page 197
47.0% "I really hope Jill isn't shadow-kissed because that's gonna annoy me a little. Another predication I have is that maybe Eddie has feelings for Micah."
08/28/2011 page 216
51.0% "Now I'm starting to think Micah reminds Eddie of his past or maybe he looks like Mason."