David Fox's Reviews > The Elves of Cintra

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: favorites, reviewed, owned-books
Read from April 25 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Elves & Demons & Faeries & Goblins & Ghosts, Oh My

Prior to reading "Armageddon's Children" a few year's back I had neither read anything by Terry Brooks nor for that fact, had I ever heard about him. Also, for the most part, except for reading books like "The Road" or "The Stand" , I've had little experience with post apocalyptic, fantasy based literature. To my sincerest delight I do believe I've discovered a genre that I know will provide me with hours of blissful contentment. That is of course, if the body of literature holds up to the standards created by Mr. Brooks. Let's face it - this stuff is pure escapist fun. There are real good guys/gals who embody all of those positive attributes we assign to our heroes. Sure, his protagonists doubt themselves, feel conflicted & worry endlessly whether or not they can find their inner mettle to tackle the gargantuan challenges confronting them. But (and you already know the answer) they do. They battle terrible one & two dimensional antagonists that are literally, the scum of the earth. Little if any nuance applies here. They are evil & mean & nasty & deserve to be snuffed out.

Brooks then places these characters in a world that is falling apart - poisoned, diseased, on its last legs - our planet sways to & fro like a punch drunk boxer trying to stay off of the canvas. And within this decimated landscape, populated by these larger than life characters, Brooks sets a plot in place that gives your fingers blisters from turning the pages so quickly.

Finds a comfortable spot, pour yourself a beverage, then sit back & dive in to a world, the likes of which, you've seen before.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elves of Cintra.