Crystal Marcos's Reviews > Noah Barleywater Runs Away

Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne

May 24, 11

I received an ARC copy of this book and it was definitely worth the read. I hadn't read anything by John Boyne before and found this story to be quite magical right from the very start. As the title gives away, it is about a boy who runs away from home. Noah is just 8 years old and dealing with something very hard for a young child to comprehend. It tugged at my heartstrings at times. Don't get me wrong though it really is far from a sad story. All I know is that I would have loved to visit a village like Noah did on his travels!

A few areas I was not too fond of were: the subject of bullying was taken a little to lightly in this story, I didn't like that growing old was portrayed as being such a bad thing, and third place is good!

I would like to explore other stories by John Boyne. (3.5-4 star not quite sure why I can't make up my mind. They both equal a 4 star here anyway.)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah Barleywater Runs Away.

message 1: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas Thanks, Crystal. Looks like one I need to order! Thanks for keeping me up-to-date.

message 2: by Theodene (new)

Theodene Interesting...will haft add it to my list!!

Crystal Marcos Tricia wrote: "Thanks, Crystal. Looks like one I need to order! Thanks for keeping me up-to-date."

You are very welcome. =)

message 4: by Crystal (last edited May 24, 2011 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crystal Marcos Theodene wrote: "Interesting...will haft add it to my list!!"

I think your son might like this one too. =)

message 5: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Peterson That does sound good. What age range would you say for this book? 7-10?

message 6: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Thank you for the recommendation. I will have to check this one out with my son.

Crystal Marcos Tina wrote: "That does sound good. What age range would you say for this book? 7-10?"

The book says it is aimed for ages 8-12. I think someone as young as 7 could read it.

Crystal Marcos Steven wrote: "Thank you for the recommendation. I will have to check this one out with my son."

You'll have to let me know what you two think. =)

message 9: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Crystal. I added it Perhaps it would be a good one to suggest for the fiction club at the Children's Books group.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Nice review Crystal! thanks for the reccomendation, I will have to go to the liabrary and see if I can find it, when I am done with my stack LOL :)

Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Thanks, Crystal. I added it Perhaps it would be a good one to suggest for the fiction club at the Children's Books group."

Yes, I think it would be a great read for the group.

Crystal Marcos Tracy wrote: "Nice review Crystal! thanks for the reccomendation, I will have to go to the liabrary and see if I can find it, when I am done with my stack LOL :)"

I hear you on the stack, or rather for me stacks! LOL! Have fun reading it when you get to it.

Crystal Marcos Abigail wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Crystal! Adding it now..."

Welcome! =)