Jessi's Reviews > Back Roads

Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

May 17, 11

bookshelves: sex-that-gets-weird
Read from April 30 to May 14, 2011

I have said it before and I will say it again "damn these first time bitches!" Tawni O'Dell wrote one hell of a story as her first novel,way to go!

I would recommend this to anyone, which normally with a story this dark I would be reluctant or would warn about the subject matter,but this is so well done.
Harley is a 19 year old boy, who has to take care of his three younger sisters,Amber,Misty and Jody, after their mother has been sent to jail for killing their abusive father. Harley works 2 jobs and has no friends and has not seen his mother since she went to jail.

The moral of the story in this is that parents (especially mothers) need to protect their children,O'Dell even points out that this basic rule is apparent in the animal kingdom and should be respected and followed. When it is not the result is that children are messed up and messed up kids do messed up things and any of those messed up things you can think of happen in this book.

They are making a movie of Back Roads,Starring Andrew Garfield and Jennifer Garner,I think this is fantastic casting and I really don't care for Garner normally, but I think she will be perfect as Callie.I don't know if I would enjoy seeing this as a film thou, reading it is somthing different all together.

Quick Thing : I wear glasses for distance so if I am in the car or watching a movie I have them on otherwise not so much. Apparently I may need to wear them more. I carried this book around for a few days(over a week) and then my five year old said
"theres is a naked lady on your book"
I said "no theres a birch tree I think"
on further inspection that is a naked lady on my book and not a tree ...bloody hell. All the progress I thought I making with respectable book covers is out the window and wasn't even aware. Awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Roads.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole how do you like it so far? It looks like it would be a dramatic read!

Jessi Wee bit depressing so far but good, I'm only a few chapters in

Sarah LOL! I can't believe you didn't notice the naked chick on the cover!

Jessi SHE LOOKED LIKE A BIRCH TREE!!!LOL I got nothing, I watch too much HBO or somthing, totally didn't notice it. I'm the worst haha!

message 5: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole whoa... I totally though she was the tree... very sneaky :P

Jessi Thank you!