Hannah M.'s Reviews > Night Play

Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, e-books-i-own, fiction, romance
Read in January, 2011

Night Play is a bit different than the first four books. Each of those four focused on different Dark-Hunters but in book five Kenyon gives us the story of one of the Were-Hunters (we actually meet him the first time in book 2). Vane is an Arcadian Wolf – which basically means that his base form is human and he can change into a wolf at will – who hasn’t had an easy life. His parents hated each other and as a result his mother wanted nothing to do with her pups. As a result Vane and his brother and sister were left to be raised in their fathers pack. Their father constantly treated them horribly, yet they really had no choice but to stay with the pack for fear of being left unprotected. Vane was actually born Kattagaria – which means his base form was wolf and he would change to human on occasion – as his siblings and father were, but when he hit puberty his base form changed leaving him vulnerable. When Vane’s sister passes away, he and his brother are left for dead by their father, a move that he had been trying to make for some time.

Night Play starts on the night that the two brothers are hung and left in a New Orleans swamp. After this night, Vane’s brother is left in something of a comatose state and after taking him to Sancutary, a safe haven for all creatures with no pack, Vane is left unsure what to do to help his brother. It is after going to sanctuary that Vane meets his mate Bride, which is an interesting process all its own. Bride learns that there is a world she never knew about out there while Vane learns of a brother he never knew and must face an enemy. Without giving too much away, the battle faced turns out quite interesting, and of course, our good guy is victorious as well as getting his happy ending with his mate.

As for how I feel about Night Play, I really liked this one. Not only did I love the characters in it – with the exception of Bride’s ex-boyfriend who I would’ve cocked upside the head if possible – I liked the newness of it. I had gotten to know some of the Dark-Hunters, their backgrounds, and the way things work among them with only passing mention of the Were-Hunters and how things at Sanctuary work in the previous installments. I loved the peek into Were-Hunter life, pack life, and this whole new facet of shifter mythology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Play.