Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

May 04, 2011

bookshelves: cultural-and-social-commentary, history, nonfiction, america, four-star-nonfiction
Read in May, 2011

Now, what's up with the subtitle? If it were really "The Untold Story," wouldn't it just be a book full of blank pages? Shouldn't it be "The Previously Untold Story"? And why don't publishers ever ask me for my opinions on these things? This calls for some serious pouting.
You should still read the book though. Outstanding research and thorough presentation with lessons for us in our 21st-Century short-sighted resource exploitation mode.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Hard Time.

Jill Hmmm...I never thought of the title that way, but you have a point! I read it, too -- one of my few non-fictions -- and a year later, it still lingers.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I can't help it, Jill. I have the mind of an editor. I'm learning to keep my nitpicking to myself, but sometimes I just have to let it out. :D Excellent book, but it wore me out!

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail Mchugh You made me laugh reading your synopsis. I would love to read more of your comments on books. I am hoping that will happen. Thank you for my smile of the day.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" You're welcome, Gail. Thanks for stopping by. I love it when people get my humor. A lot of people don't.