Kaity's Reviews > Dragon Bound

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

203807
May 22, 11

bookshelves: faeries, fantasy, paranormal-romance, shapeshifters, dragons
Read from May 21 to 22, 2011

Review originally posted on Bitten Books and given 4 stars.

Pia has succeeded in being the first to find and steal something from the dragon's horde. She doesn't like stealing, didn't even want to, in fact she left something of equal value behind and an apologetic note. She knows it won't matter though, the leader of all Wyrkind will hunt her down and tear her limb from limb in revenge. Stealing hadn't been her choice. Pia's scumbag ex-boyfriend was threatening to tell secrets she'd foolishly told him to an unknown enemy just as frightening as Dragos Cuelebre. She couldn't have guessed that despite the Cuelebre's rage, it was the first time in far too long that he wasn't bored and perhaps he'd want to keep her.

I almost skipped over this book entirely after reading the provided summary. The 'claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited' and slave bit of it left me very wary. I'm so glad I read Dragon Bound anyway! That part of the summary is highly misleading so don't go into this book thinking his price for stealing is making her his sex slave like I did.

I loved Pia and Dragos. They were both funny, in their own ways, and very passionate. The contrast between the two of them was enormous but it made everything more interesting to read. I loved their arguments, battles of wit, sweet moments and smut scenes. We've got the Wyr lord who used to eat people and has never heard no and a skittish half-breed who leaves an apology note for stealing and, while typically a pacifist, hates being told what to do. It was very enjoyable reading the worst of their clashes and seeing how they eventually got to a place where compromise was possible. Yay for character growth! Loved the dual POVs, I'm almost always a fan of that though. I think it was especially cleverly used in Dragon Bound seeing as Pia and Dragos are so vastly different from one another.

I won't lie. Generally when I pick up an adult paranormal (fantasy) romance, I'm reading it for the lovin'. Harrison dished that out quite nicely but she also surprised me with a fantastic and utterly unique plot and cast. I'll admit when I discovered what Pia was I had to put the book down to squeal in excitement for several moments. Fae are becoming more common in PNR/UF but this is the first time I've encountered elves and thunderbirds (!!!). Can't wait for Storm's Heart. I loved the characters that will be featured in the sequel.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.

05/22/2011 page 25
8.0% "There were the Wyrkind, Elves, both Light and Dark Fae, tall bright-eyed beings and squat mushroom-colored creatures, winged nightmares and shy things that puttered in foliage and hid whenever he appeared. PLEASE let there be elves in this book. I've yet to read anything with elves that wasn't high fantasy. Is it even genre-ly possibly to have elves in PNR or UF? I think Lisa Shearin has an elf UF."
05/22/2011 page 50
16.0% "I’m sorry I had to take your penny. Here’s another to replace it. That's hilarious. I always find it amusing when the hero has a giant hissy fit but this one was especially amusing."
05/22/2011 page 75
24.0% "Quentin caught and held her gaze, his eyes going stormy. “Just tell me what kind of trouble you’re in,” he said slowly and deliberately. “And I will take care of it. I won’t ask questions you either can’t or don’t want to answer. All you’ve got to do is tell me what’s wrong.” I hope he sticks around for the rest of the book. You don't often see friends in PNR/UF and I really enjoy his character so far."
05/22/2011 page 80
26.0% "The slash of Dragos’s dark brows lowered over his blade-straight nose. The woman looked tired, preoccupied. No, she looked more than tired—she looked haunted. The smile she gave the cashier was courteous, even kind, but sad. She wasn’t what he expected, but he knew in his old wicked bones that this was his thief. Uh oh. Can't wait for their run in. I hope it's soon..."
05/22/2011 page 95
30.0% "He roared. He sounded like he was in as much pain as she was. He wrapped hard arms tight around her, but she was already growing insubstantial. The raw silk of his hair melted through her grip. She threw out her hands, reaching for him. For a moment she felt his questing fingers brush along hers. Then he was gone. Up until the disappearing, I was ready to climb into the book to get some of that."
05/22/2011 page 111
36.0% "Bite. It was a bite mark. She fingered the area at the juncture of her neck and shoulder. The skin wasn’t broken but there was an impression of teeth, and a suck-bruise was already forming. She whispered, “The bastard gave me a hickey?” In a dream? Like I said before, where can I get me some of those dreams?"
05/22/2011 page 140
45.0% "Just like that, from one moment to the next, she was asleep. No one was around to witness when he experimented with pressing his lips against her forehead. He decided he liked that too. I love Dragos's ignorance with human emotion/actions and his possessiveness. Such a yummy guy... dragon... thing."
05/22/2011 page 160
51.0% "“I am not a piece of property, damn it!” “But you are in my possession.” She enunciated, “I think you are a lunatic.” “Since you are too, that works well enough.” Probably not the best thing to say to a woman but definitely made me laugh."
05/22/2011 page 180
58.0% "Then that first Goblin had driven his fist into her stomach, and he had gone bat-shit crazy. Every kick, every blow she suffered was like corrosive acid in his veins. He wanted to howl and rage. The dragon strained to rip their hearts from their chests while they watched. I wish 'gryphon-shit crazy' or some fantasy derivative were used. Either way, Dragos going crazy in protectiveness/concern makes me squee."
05/22/2011 page 250
80.0% "“I am cursed with a terminal case of curiosity,” he said. “I am jealous, selfish, acquisitive, territorial and possessive. I have a terrible temper, and I know I can be a cruel son of a bitch.” He cocked his head. “I used to eat people, you know.” If he meant to shock her out of crying, he succeeded. He totally did that because crying freaks him out, typical male."