Rachell's Reviews > The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East

The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan

Apr 30, 11

Read in April, 2011

Tolan does a fantastic job telling both sides of the story. I felt sympathy and compassion for Jew and Arab; sadness for each party's history; and anger at both for their horrific acts of violence. There are portions that read as well as a novel; other portions are harder to get through due to extensive history on wars, battles and political conflicts that I am very unfamiliar with. I felt unresolved at the end of the story, largely because this is an unresolved issue and will be until the Second Coming. The reality that the fight over Israel/Palestine has no clear, healing solution is very draining. This book did make me appreciate my life: I have never been a victim of war, a refugee, exiled from my homeland and country, never felt fear of my people being humiliated and beaten and annihilated, never wondered if my next trip on a bus or to the grocery store would end my life. Overall, a great book helping readers familiarize themselves with the Middle Eastern conflicts, and very well told. Thought provoking, internally distressing, yet a glimmer of hope at the humanity of individuals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lemon Tree.