André's Reviews > Eu sou um gato

Eu sou um gato by Natsume Sōseki

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: literature
Read in May, 2011

I've bought this book when the first Brazilian translation came out some years ago, but set it aside until 2011. Unfortunately, I can't say that I was impressed by it.

Written by Natsume Sōseki back in 1905, Wagahai-wa neko-de aru tells the story of a cat who views the society which surrounds his Japanese master with great sardonic eyes. He mocks all and everyone, exposing their superficiality and futility disguised as knowledge.

The main problem with this book is its length. The whole thing consists of three volumes, to a total of eleven chapters and more than 600 pages. If Sōseki had written a book only one-third as long, then I would have read it with joy. As it is, it fells like Wagahai-wa neko-de aru is a one-trick pony; Sōseki pretty much tells the same story over and over again. It impresses you in the beginning, but soon boredom starts to creep in and later you just wish for the whole damn thing to be over. But no, it drags on and on. Ultimately, the book is bound to fall off from your hands and go back to the bookshelf.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eu sou um gato.