Holly's Reviews > The Memory Chalet

The Memory Chalet by Tony Judt

Aug 13, 2016

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from April 30 to May 02, 2011

I just knew this book would be special. How sadly disheartening that we can look forward to no new works from Tony Judt. He was a self-described "edge person": the "fierce unconditional loyalties -- to a country, a God, and idea, or a man" had come to terrify him. He saw that "the thin veneer of civilization rests upon an illusory faith in our common humanity." I especially liked the final piece on Switzerland, since like Judt I've always been strangely drawn to the country -- even though it's boring and clean and liberals might look askance (Don't you know about the War?!).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Chalet.

08/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Does this contain "Night," the short essay about living with ALS he wrote for NYR? Lord, what a powerful piece.

message 2: by Holly (last edited Jul 27, 2016 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holly Hi Tom. I read this in 2011 so I don't remember! (But just checked the table of contents and yes, that is here.)

Holly Just read what I wrote here about Switzerland. Hmm. (Reading Moorehead's Village of Secrets last month I learned a lot more about Switzerland's refusal to open their borders to refugees.)

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Holly wrote: "Hi Tom. I read this in 2011 so I don't remember! (But just checked the table of contents and yes, that is here.)"

Great, thanks, Holly. That piece alone is worth the price.