Darlalala's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Mar 01, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, 2013, favorites
Read in February, 2013

Warning: There might be MINOR spoilers so yea, be warned :)

AFTER READING:
When Alex and Lena were doing this...

I look like this.

and then this..

I CAN'T FREAKING CONTAIN MY STUPID TANGLED EMOTIONS!!!
okay I'm calm. I.am.calm.

Julian-Lena-Alex:
Although Julian somewhat grew on me in Requiem, my heart still belongs to Alex. Frankly, Alex din't do a lot in this book. He is not as active as Julian who, though struggling, managed to adapt well in the Wilds. His natural leadership skills are amazing and he is really determined to prove his worth quickly. I think Lena was waaay more whiny when she first became an invalid than the rich kid Julian and I really admired him for that.
He also has the urge of protecting Lena though he is not capable of doing that. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
On to Alex. He has another love interest here. (view spoiler) And was trying to avoid Lena and Julian. He was not in real action here actually, mostly he was described as aloof and snobbish especially to Lena and Julian. He often hangs out with the new girl, knees touching blah blah blah. And then he saves Lena's ass. Again. Though Lena managed to save Alex too (view spoiler)
Alex is still Alex. The one who is willing to sacrifice his own happiness for Lena's sake. The sweet sweet guy that we all love.

Annabel:
She and Lena made up :)

Raven, Tack, Hunter, Bram, Lu, Coral:
They're Lena's constant companions here, although not all of them made through and there is some kind of (view spoiler) that shocks Lena.

Hana:
She has a MAJOR role in this. She describes how the cure worked on her. Her feelings, or the lack thereof, and her fear that the cure didn't properly work constantly bugs her. I know I hated Hana not so long ago because of her freaking jealousy, but she kinda made up for it. She has contributed greatly to the Invalid's cause, although she is a cured person herself.

Who did Lena choose?
I love it that Oliver did not spell it out for us. She left me hanging but in a completely content way. I felt satisfied. I know Lena chose him but she is not rushing it. She loves the other one and she will take things slow, figure out how to proceed from there. How to fix things. At least that's the way I thought it meant.

Lauren Oliver:
I said it before and I'll say it again. YOU ARE A GENIUS. I don't know how you do it but you made my heart happy. You've told a wonderful story that I am sure I'll never forget it. You made Lena so strong but still realistic. She's not a superhuman, not perfect but she's brave. She loves. She cares (view spoiler), and she stands up for what she believes. Now that's a remarkable heroine.

BEFORE READING:
OH GEEZ. THIRD BOOK!!! I hope the world won't end in 2012.

*enters the much dreaded love triangle* surprise surprise! *thousands of rolling eyes
ooh Aleeeeeeeeex! Your minimal appearance in Pandemonium is not enough!!
EDIT:
Anyway, the third book will be from Lena and Hana's POV.. okay.
I hope it'll be told from Alex's POV though :( But I guess this story centers more on the political stuff, not the romance dept so putting Hana's POV, being a cured one, fits right. But I kinda hate her. (view spoiler) I kinda like Oliver's writing, I hope this book wouldn't disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

Quotes Darlalala Liked

Lauren Oliver
“Take down the walls.
That is, after all, the whole point.
You do not know what will happen if you take down the walls; you cannot see through to the other side, don't know whether it will bring freedom or ruin, resolution or chaos. It might be paradise or destruction.
Take down the walls.
Otherwise you must live closely, in fear, building barricades against the unknown, saying prayers against the darkness, speaking verse of terror and tightness.
Otherwise you may never know hell; but you will not find heaven, either. You will not know fresh air and flying.
All of you, wherever you are: in your spiny cities, or your one bump towns. Find it, the hard stuff, the links of metal and chink, the fragments of stone filling you stomach.
And pull, and pull, and pull.
I will make a pact with you: I will do it if you will do it, always and forever.
Take down the walls.”
Lauren Oliver, Requiem

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won’t make it home, I’m already half-dead
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.”
Lauren Oliver, Requiem

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita I totally agree!By the way, what does Requiem mean ?

message 2: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita I totally agree!By the way, what does Requiem mean ?

Darlalala a musical setting of the mass for the dead -accdg to Merriam-webster ;) oh geez, that doesn't look good. I hope if someone's gonna die, ITS NOT ALEX!!! Maybe it's Julian. or the whole Love is a disease system..

Galya Fedderly Maybe the requiem is symbolic fir the falling if the zombies (cured people)? Idk but I'm pissed that Alex had such a small role in pandemonium. He really is an awesome character. I do wish that he would be more understanding. Lena has thought him to be dead for nearly a year! And she was hesitant to even be with Julian at all except that he reminded her of alex! I'm hoping above all he will understand eventually. God! I want the next book now!

message 5: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita Galya wrote: "Maybe the requiem is symbolic fir the falling if the zombies (cured people)? Idk but I'm pissed that Alex had such a small role in pandemonium. He really is an awesome character. I do wish that ..."

Um,if it's really got somethin' to do with zombies that'd be like so cool!!!!!!
But, about the Alex thingy, I have to disagree with you.Sorry, but I think that Lena was actin' like a total despo.

Darlalala Well if there's one thing we'd all agree on is that Julian sucks?

message 7: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita Darlalala wrote: "Well if there's one thing we'd all agree on is that Julian sucks?"

Totally!!!He's just a nuisance! :P
):)

message 8: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan I love Julian, i just love Alex more.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

haha major spoiler!!

Darlalala ąƈε wrote: "haha major spoiler!!"

I was assuming that people browsing for this book already finished Pandemonium ;)

Lenasheathes Totaly :) Alex all the way!

Kassandra haha I totally hope the world doesn't end either! lol

Rabiya Javed how do you know she told the authorities about them?? If it's true then it's another of the many things i predicted as i read the books!

message 14: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita Rabiya wrote: "how do you know she told the authorities about them?? If it's true then it's another of the many things i predicted as i read the books!"

From the Hana's Story Ebook. :)

Rabiya Javed oh yeah....a few days after writing this comment i downloaded HANA and just finished reading it yesterday...and it was HILARIOUS!!!

esp.the last line: "I'm sorry Lena."
Thanks anyways :)

Krista Galya wrote: "Maybe the requiem is symbolic fir the falling if the zombies (cured people)?..."

I agree with you! I hope Alex is understanding of the fact that she thought he was dead!! BUT I read something from someone who has a preview of the book and it's not looking good .... I think he's going to hate her - BUT I hope he comes back around and forgives her! I'm just hoping .... I'd break my heart otherwise!

message 17: by Darlalala (last edited Oct 06, 2012 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darlalala Guys! There's another novella. Annabel (Delirium, #2.5) by Lauren Oliver I'm freakin excited!

Pearl No I hate Hana and don't want to hear her POV! She's so boring! But I think I like Julian a little more than Alex - controversial! To be honest, I like Tack more than both of them lol.

message 19: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney How does everyone know that Hana was the one that narced to the authorities?????

message 20: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita Courtney wrote: "How does everyone know that Hana was the one that narced to the authorities?????"

Read the Hana's Story ebook. ^^

message 21: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Oh! Thanks.

message 22: by Nobonita (new) - added it

Nobonita Courtney wrote: "Oh! Thanks."

No problem. :)

Jasmin how did you read this book before the release? ??

Darlalala I got an ARC

message 25: by r (new) - rated it 4 stars

r agree with you^^

message 26: by Darlalala (last edited Feb 24, 2013 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darlalala kyoso wrote: "agree with you^^
but i need more alex, i can count how many words were said by him.. i hope there would be a novella or something about the aftermath.."

I think there will be a novella but it's about Raven. But yea, we need a little bit of a closure, I mean a clear closure :P

Sabrina Hana didn't sell out Alex and Lena...

Sabrina Also, did you already read the book???!

Darlalala Sabrina wrote: "Hana didn't sell out Alex and Lena..."

She did. yes, I read the book

Daisy Dardon Your GIFS explain exactly what I felt after reading the book LOL I'm so happy well not really. I'm content, that's a better word. It left me wanting for more BUT I suppose this will have to do. It ended better then I expected haha so it's all good. :D

Samantha I am only mildly content! it could have had so much more!

Annabel I thought this book was coming out 21st March, fantastic know everything that goes on now, I was wondering why I was getting so confused

message 33: by Cece (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cece Can someone please clarify what happened to Tate?

Harry(BookHaze) OH MY GOD IJUsT FINiShED THE BOOK. IS THERE GOING TO BE A 4th?? I JUSt ALeX THEn THE WALL I

Harry(BookHaze) TOOnMaNY FEELS BUT RAVEN AND TACK

Jessica I think the definition of requiem that fits best for this book is:
An act or token of remembrance.

message 37: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily @Darlalala
Where is your first gif from?? It looks so cute and romantic :3

Harry(BookHaze) its from the host trailer right?

Tanya Morgenstern Awesome review! I cant wait to read this!!!!

message 40: by Devi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devi i want to read this.. actually i really want to know who she ends up with. is this the last book?

Whitney 'Thompson' Jenkins Even though you warned me I read your review anyway and now I have to keep myself from skipping ahead... I was trying to talk myself in allowing Julian a chance since it looked like that's where she was going... but now you have me second guessing myself...

Sabrina Darlalala wrote: "Sabrina wrote: "Hana didn't sell out Alex and Lena..."

She did. yes, I read the book"

No, she didn't. It wasn't her fault at all. But I guess you can look at it both ways.

message 43: by Raven (new) - added it

Raven Miller i promised myself that I would wait and read the book before I read your spoilers. I lied.

Linda Peng Omg I totally agree with ending the book at that part. I hated Hana too at first but she really grew on me as I read about her life and feeligns

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Jackson Your review is so true! My sister won't let me read it because I read too fast and I need to keep myself busy. Thank you so much, I can't wait to read it!

Darlalala Amy wrote: "Your review is so true! My sister won't let me read it because I read too fast and I need to keep myself busy. Thank you so much, I can't wait to read it!"

Thank you :) hope you'll like Requiem as much as we do.

message 47: by Josefina (new)

Josefina Muñoz Hey! I liked your review, but I'm not sure weather you said Lena was staying with Alex or Julian. I just fished reading delirium and I'm devastated. I mean I know Alex y is not dead. We'll at Lear I know now... Bueno cantante imagine Lena without Alex:(