Shawn's Reviews > Destined

Destined by P.C. Cast

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: series, own, 2012-reads, favorite-authors
Read from April 30 to May 21, 2012

Wow, I've finally caught up with this series, I never thought it would happen. Well, I still have Lenobia's Vow to read but OTHER than that, I'm caught up.

In this installment of the House of Night series quite a lot gets resolved or brought up to speed. In the last few novels there was always something left hanging, a loose end untied. I can understand that for a series this can be expected but I'm happy that in this installment's case a lot happened and a lot was resolved.

I know that readers's opinions on this series are mixed. Some people hate it, others love it it. I haven't read too many reviews of people who find themselves in the middle. I feel that for the most part the reason for some people not to not enjoy the series is strongly based on the writing style and in a lot of ways I can understand where they're coming from. Again I'll say that at times the writing was a little juvenile throughout the story. The characters go off on tangents and side track and I often find myself a bit disappointed whenever this happens because in a way it takes away from a story that for me would be perfectly enjoyable and entertaining without that added trivia and banter.

My biggest issue with the series is that after all that's happened to Rephiam I can understand his closeness with Stevie Rea, his internal debate about his father, and wanting to fit in but I can't understand how his entire personality seems to have changed. Yes, he's not a Raven Mocker anymore, his form is different, but isn't his mind and his mentality the same? It seems that once he became human the Casts stopped trying to distinguish him from the other male characters. Only on a few occasions do you get a taste for the old Rephiam, how he talked and how he acted. I would have liked to see him remain a bit more true to the character I got used to. I'm not sure if anyone else picked up on this, maybe I'm just being picky, but it's an aspect of the book that left something to be desired.

In the novel Aurox is a very interesting character and his role is touching in very much the same way that Raphiam was in the previous two novels. His confusion and turmoil replaces what I've missed from Rephiam.

All in all I enjoyed this novel and I especially enjoyed the ending, projecting a big change to come in the next installment. I look forward to seeing how everything and everyone will come together. I just hope that the characters remain true to themselves and don't blend too much so that it is only their differing banter and ranting that distinguishes them from one another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

05/02/2012 page 53
05/02/2012 page 53
16.0% "If anything happens to Rephaim I swear I'm done reading this series...Just a fair warning for the remaining pages of this book."
show 4 hidden updates…