Claudette's Reviews > The Summer Before Boys

The Summer Before Boys by Nora Raleigh Baskin

May 07, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-or-realistic-fiction, arc-galley, young-adult, read-in-2011
Read from May 02 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy

Rrating Clarification: 2.5

The Summer Before Boys is a pretty short and very sweet story about a normal girl, Julia, who's just beginning her early years as a teenager and whose mother is serving in the National Guard, away from home, in Iraq, a country were soldiers (and civilians too) die too easily for Julia's liking.

Julia has to go live at her sister's house for the whole summer because of her parents' jobs, but she certainly won't complain. With her niece (although she calls her cousin) Eliza, she could spend hours pretending to be an Indian warrior, a medieval princess or simply a young, aristocratic lady. But things are a little bit different this time: and the novelty is spelled Michael. How will our young heroine cope with her first crush?

The Summer Before Boys was a bit more juvenile than I was expecting and although I liked the main character's freshness and carelessness, I found it quite boring in some of its parts.

The crush she has on Michael is an infantile one and there was no real development in their relationship.

I enjoyed Julia's thoughts about war and her mom's situation a lot, I found their simpleness and strength admirable.

Overall, it was an okay read, but I think preteens are the ones who would enjoy it the most.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Before Boys.