Juliana Philippa's Reviews > Scandalous Desires

Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt

Jul 15, 2015

bookshelves: historical-romance, 0-own-in-dead-tree-form, 4-half-stars, 4-to-5-stars, 2011-oct-reads, 2011-reads, 0-reviewed, hr-class-difference, hr-have-a-past-together, hr-hero-abuse-trauma-rape, hr-hero-arrogant-autocratic, hr-hero-black-sheep-rebel-outcast, hr-hero-commoner, hr-hero-difficult-childhood, hr-hero-family-estranged, hr-hero-famous, hr-hero-has-children, hr-hero-pirate-cime-lord, hr-hero-poor-background, hr-hero-rake-rogue, hr-hero-without-family-orphan, hr-hero-working-man, hr-heroine-beautiful-attractive, hr-heroine-commoner, hr-heroine-good-girl, hr-heroine-poor-background, hr-heroine-scandal, hr-heroine-somewhat-wallflower, hr-heroine-widow, hr-heroine-works-or-has-profession, hr-kidnapping, hr-opposites-enemies-attract, hr-secret-love, best-romance-heroes-ever, all-time-best-romance-heroes-ever, fiction-vixen-posted-book-review, romance-series, series
Read from October 24 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

4.5 stars. Ever since my Elizabeth Hoyt obsession began this past summer I have been anxiously anticipating this book. Mickey's character is one of my favorite types of heroes and I loved his pairing with Silence. From the moment I learned of it, I was reminded of the Derek Craven-Sara Fielding matchup in Lisa Kleypas’ Dreaming of You , which is one of my favorite HRs.

Our Hero. Mickey is so lovable and definitely one of my favorite heroes. I think it's sometimes difficult to have villain-turned-hero characters, because the transformation needs to feel authentic. I think Hoyt definitely succeeded with that, because by the end Mickey is still Mickey—maybe a little more domesticated and more than a little changed, but it's the same person, only with a new side to him. I loved his cant and was glad that Hoyt kept that throughout the book. Made for some fantastic lines.

Our Heroine. I didn't have much of a feel for Silence before, though I did like her from what I'd seen of her first encounter with Mickey. She's a very engaging heroine and I enjoyed watching her also come into her own, standing up for herself and not taking his shit. Her character is calm and soft, setup to perfectly juxtapose Mickey's rough edges. In some of the events towards the end I feel like she bowed to pressure or didn't push enough, whereas she had been very firm and ready to put herself out there before. But all in all she was good and a great fit for Mickey/Michael—and she totally kicks ass at the end when she _____!

Everything Else. I loved how Mickey slowly warms to Mary Darling and ends up becoming so attached to her. I didn't like how she kind of disappeared in the last third/quarter of the book and didn't have as much of a presence or personality as she did earlier in the book. The underlying “mystery” plot was a good one and ended up being the the main story-driver and relationship obstacle.

The standard guy-can't-admit-he's-in-love-and-realize-what-he-really-wants was employed. I find that ploy very tiring, because it's so often used—I mean, we get it, guys are commitment phobes, next! I wasn't as annoyed here because Mickey is by no means ignoring or denying the depths of his feeling and given his history and experiences, it (for once) is perfectly logical.

The Difficulty of Meeting High Expectations. One of the things I was worried about was how excited I was about the book - would it be able to live up to expectations? When I saw everyone's rave reviews for it, it made me all the more nervous. Because of the buildup this time around which led to some unavoidable disappointment—it always does in cases like these—I think I'll probably love it more the second time around.

While I normally will read an HR in one sitting unless the house is on fire—and really need me because they're not able to put it out themselves—I actually put this book down two or three times. However, I do think this mostly has to do with the extreme anticipation and inevitable result.

Question for Those Who Have Read the Book. (view spoiler)

Bottom Line. So bottom line: a great read. I loved the characters. I loved the plot. I loved the writing—great dialogue, especially on Mickey's parts; I adored some of his lines! I loved the sexual tension—though Scandalous Desires was on the lighter end of Hoyt's books in terms of frequency and explicitness. Read it!

P.S. We find out in the epilogue who the Ghost of St. Giles is and there is a little teaser at the end for the next book. I wasn't surprised and the heroine is obvious from this book; I was a little surprised by the kind of pairing Hoyt decided to do, but still very excited to read it!

Recommendations
If you liked this book, you might also enjoy ...
(similar character types and/or plot setups)
* Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
* Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas
* The Least Likely Bride by Jane Feather
* Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman by Lorraine Heath

Two of My Favorite Quotes
Her room was smaller than his, but somehow the air seemed fresher, less close. He could hear the sound of the child’s heavy breathing in sleep and softer, slower, the woman’s. He went to stand next to the bed and even though the room was unlit, he could make out, faintly, her slight form beneath the covers. The sight somehow calmed his soul. She lay in his bed, in his house, and no matter what bargain she thought she’d made with him, he knew the truth.

He had no plans to let her go—ever.

————————

Around and around his finger slid, until she sighed restlessly and moaned his name—
Michael—the only one who called him so.

But he allowed it, for she was a fair prize, this soft-hearted woman. And if she were his woman, well then, he supposed in a way he must be her man.

Read my review or Tempting Teaser on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews. (Written October 27, 2011)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandalous Desires.

03/27 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-34 of 34) </span> <span class="smallText">(34 new)</span>

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I am so looking forward to this book. He is going to be one awesome hero.

message 2: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Oct 04, 2011 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa I know, I cannot wait! I absolutely love this pairing. Mickey is going to be a kick-ass "hero."
;-)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I still haven't read book 2. Do you think I can skip it and read book 3?

message 4: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Oct 04, 2011 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa Anna wrote: "I still haven't read book 2. Do you think I can skip it and read book 3?"

I didn't like Book 2 very much, so I would say yes. Also, all the interactions between Silence and Mickey happen in Book 1, not 2. In #2 she's taking care of the baby and we see some of those scenes, but nothing with Mickey. (I'm remembering correctly, right Jen?)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Juliana! I hear there's info about Silence's husband I need to know. I'll read book 2.

message 6: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Oct 05, 2011 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa Anna wrote: "Thanks, Juliana! I hear there's info about Silence's husband I need to know. I'll read book 2."

Is there? ... Woops, I don't remember - what info?

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Juliana...(view spoiler)

message 8: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Oct 07, 2011 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa Anna wrote: "@Juliana...[spoilers removed]"

That happens in Book 1 ... doesn't it??

Denise Soon Juliana, I pre-ordered from Kindle, and I am supposed to get it Oct. 18th, but the PB is supposed to be released the 24th. Well that is according to Amazon. I can't wait!!!
Oh, and as I recall, wasn't her husband just missing? Hmmm... I may have to re-read that part.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Book 1 ended with him crying and sailing off. Then she finds the baby on her doorstep.

Juliana Philippa Ohhh, then woops. Completely forgot that about Book 2. Didn't really like that book much. It was okay, but after having zoomed through 4 or 5 fabulous Elizabeth Hoyt reads, it didn't really measure up.

message 12: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Loved this book as well!

KatLynne Great review Juliana! I'm looking forward to this series.

Juliana Philippa KatLynne wrote: "Great review Juliana! I'm looking forward to this series."

Thanks KatLynne! Have you read any of the books in the series yet? My first Hoyt book was Wicked Intentions , which starts the series, and it's fantastic!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Juliana! I must be an odd duck. ;o)

Juliana Philippa Anna wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Juliana! I must be an odd duck. ;o)"

Going over to read your review ...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Oh! I just read your spoiler question. I'm very relieved you-know-who didn't you-know-what because I was afraid it would happen. ;o)~ It was a fear during the read. Good thing it didn't happen or I would have felt worse than grumpy. LOL

Jess the Romanceaholic Great review!

The spoiler question -- I never even considered it, though I did think that it was a bit convenient in the last book. I loved Mickey so much though that I didn't care lol

I can't wait for the next book, though I'm already disinclined to like that heroine :-/

message 19: by Midsummer (new)

Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁ Juliana, You wrote a wonderful review! I totally agree with you on being worried that the book one is reading is not up to expectations, especially with all the ravings. If I have the time, I would prefer to finish a book at one go so I can connect better with the characters rather than recalling back when i picked up the book again.

Juliana Philippa @Anna: I know! I was afraid of that the entire time. And I also would have been very, very grumpy had that happened! lol

@Jess: Thanks so much! :-) Really? (re the heroine) What don't you like about her? I was surprised, because normally I would not like that type of HR heroine. I'm a little narrow-minded in my heroine preferences - I completely admit it. I liked the play and between them though and (view spoiler).

@Midsummer: Thanks!! :-) Even though I pre-ordered the book, after seeing all the rave reviews I was planning on putting it aside and going to it in a few weeks or months when I had a series of dud-reads and could pull out this good bet read. ... Succumbed pretty quickly when it actually arrived though, lol. And same here re: finishing the book in one go. For "regular" books doesn't matter as much - depends - but for romances that's almost always true for me as well.

message 21: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Great review, Juliana!

I really love the Hoyts I've read, but I have a ton of books to get through first before getting to this one. Maybe I'll set it aside for when I have some time and can really enjoy it. DH has a business trip coming up...

Juliana Philippa Thanks Ruth! :-)

If you're a Hoyt fan I'm sure you'll love it. I was planning on setting aside to read after my next run of bad reads, since I knew this was a safe bet, but I succumbed the minute it arrived on my doorstep. (Surprise, surprise).

Hope you enjoy it once you get around to it!!

Jess the Romanceaholic I'm actually not sure what it is about her that put me off really. I think she just came across as a bit spoiled maybe?

I agree though, she'll be an EXCELLENT foil for him!

Juliana Philippa Jess, I agree. She did come off as a spoiled, jaded, society lady - which is normally the type of heroine I can't stand. I feel like there is more to her than first impressions would have one believe though; she seems very self-aware and able to see the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of society and how people act.

I guess we'll see! Either way, I think it will be very amusing watching the sparring between them and am so curious to see how (view spoiler). I didn't really like book #2 or the heroine, Hero, so I hope she doesn't end up being like that.

Shawna Great review, Juliana! This book totally blew me away! I've loved everything Hoyt has written, but this is my favorite.

KatLynne Thanks KatLynne! Have you read any of the books in the series yet? My first Hoyt book was [book:Wicked Intentions|764934..."

Juliana Philippa Shawna wrote: "Great review, Juliana! This book totally blew me away! I've loved everything Hoyt has written, but this is my favorite."

Thanks Shawna! The book was great and I know I'm going to enjoy it even more the second time around. To Seduce A Sinner remains one of my top three all-time favorite romances, so that's the top of my Hoyt list, but almost all of her work is amazing!! She has definitely become one of my fav HR authors.

message 28: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Nov 02, 2011 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa KatLynne wrote: "I have read any in this series but with the great reveiws I was tempted to skip and read this one first."

I would suggest you read the series in order, since they do overlap - particularly in this instance, since Silence and Mickey's connection starts in book 1 of the Maiden Lane Series (and I'm not usually a read-in-order kind of girl). I don't think it will be a hardship though! I loved it and a lot of people loved #2 as well (wasn't one of my favs).

KatLynne Thanks Juliana. Starting the first book tonight!

Nikki Hope you enjoy the first, KatLynne - I loved it! Just an FYI that I jumped from Book 1 to Book 3 and didn't feel I missed anything from Book 2 really. I'm going to go back and read Book 2 eventually but was too impatient to read Mickey and Silence's story. :)

KatLynne Nikki wrote: "Hope you enjoy the first, KatLynne - I loved it! Just an FYI that I jumped from Book 1 to Book 3 and didn't feel I missed anything from Book 2 really. I'm going to go back and read Book 2 eventuall..."

Great minds think alike Nikki as that is my plan too:-) I don't normally read out of order, but with my time so limited lately, I find myself wanting to skip those that are just so-so. Enjoying the first one so far!

message 32: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Great review Juliana. I loved this one. Mainly for Mickey-licious.

Audrey I LOVED this line "And if she were his woman, well then, he supposed in a way he must be her man." Totally dead on and 100% swoon-worthy.

Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover Derek Craven is what I thinking too and he's one of my favorite heros, along with Lord St.Vincent. I'm a little late in reading the series but I'm becoming more and more obsessed with Elizabeth Hoyt.