Pawan's Reviews > Love Story

Love Story by Erich Segal

M 50x66
May 02, 11

I own a copy, read count: 5
I guess all college going students get introduced to this book in some way or the other. It is one of those timeless romantic classics that is enjoyed for the first time by kids who suddenly start taking interest in opposite sex. The story is very simple and is about a rich boy meeting a poor girl and falling in love and how in the end the girl dies due to illness leaving the guy alone.

For me the book was a classic example of dialog writing. Many times I have found that it is difficult to come up with conversation in a book. Movies are great for conversations. You don’t have to keep writing A says; B says; You don’t need to write expressions, you can leave sentences half-finished. The medium of movie allows that since you have a powerful dimension of visuals. But in the books, you need to describe everything and sometimes that can be a killer for impromptu conversation. Segal has overcome this limitation with wonderful conversational dialogs in this book. You really feel as though you are seeing that conversation happening between two characters and writer is not killing it by putting in extra words.

The book is of course very emotional. But it brings a smile to your face as well. The playfulness of Jennifer even during the hard times that they have touches your heart.

I had read this book when I had started going to college and later on read other books of Segal as well. I will probably write about them in separate pages. Recently, I also saw the movie, but I did not like the movie as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Story.