bookczuk's Reviews > Love Letters

Love Letters by Katie Fforde

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: books-about-books, skim-read-til-the-end, ho-hum
Read from April 24 to 27, 2011

I picked this book up at my favorite local independent bookstore for three reasons. The first is that I'd recently listened to an audio-version of a book by this author, read by the unbelievably grand voice actress Divina Porter and loved how she handled the British accents and the Scottish ones. This book promised Irish accents and I got carried away, forgetting it wasn't audio and I'd have to supply the voices in my head myself. Reason number two was that I really did enjoy the story as well in the earlier Fforde book, despite a somewhat more brutal than my taste love scene in the kitchen. The third reason was that my lovely indie bookstore is closing shop. I'm devastated, but obviously not as heart-broken as Pat at the Ravenous Reader is. Her merchandise goes on sale Monday, but I bought this at full price to help her combat her debts. Ironically, the main character in this book is heading off to run a literary festival after her long time employer, who ran an Indie bookstore, decided to retire.

Anyhow, I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as "Second Thyme 'Round", but my accents aren't as good as Ms Porter's. Too close to chick lit/romance for my tastes. I would have rather read Dermot's (the Irish literary genius with a writer's block)books. Let me know when those are available.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Letters.