Ashley - The Bookish Brunette's Reviews > The First Days

The First Days by Rhiannon Frater

May 21, 13

bookshelves: zombies, favorite
Read from June 11 to 13, 2011

OH. MY. GOD. Where do I start? From the very FIRST paragraph- I was hooked!

Jenni- with an 'i' is standing on her front porch staring at "tiny fingers" trying to claw their way out from underneath the front door. Her terror IS MY terror from the very beginning, as she recounts the events of her family being transformed into flesh eating zombies before her very eyes.

Her abusive husband had come home the night before claiming that a homeless man had bitten him, slept on the couch and Jenni was awakened by the terrifying screams of her 3 year old son being eaten by his father. (Literally- I am almost trembling just remembering it.)

As Jenni is standing, paralyzed with fear and shock on her porch as her 12 year old 'now ZOMBIE' son is about to break through the window- Katie, a stranger in a beat-up white pick-up truck flies into her yard yelling for her to get in the truck.

Jenni barely makes it into the truck as her once precious son, whose last act was unknowingly sacrificing himself to his zombie father in his mother's place.

Amidst the chaos that has now claimed the United States, there are few places of sanctuary for the 'living'. After Katie and Jenni risk their lives and save Jenni's step-son, they make their way to Ashley Oaks (Um WIN... Fab choice in names!)

In Ashley Oaks... comes Travis (the name 'Travis' says it all doesn't it?) The picture of perfection- but which woman will he fall for? Killing zombies, going on rescue missions... in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse is there even a chance for romance?

There is nowhere to go. There is no escape. The zombies are everywhere. The First Days is terrifyingly realistic and vividly horrifying, this book is feverish and electrifying- AMAZING in every sense of the word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Days.

06/12/2011 page 142
02/28/2013
1.0% "Doing a re-read of my fav zombie book EVER!!!!"
05/21/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♥ Sarah ♥ Thanks for the rec! I'll have to try this. :]

♥ Sarah ♥ However, you are a little biased on the zombie front, being you're the zombie queen and all! lol ;) But...that also makes you the zombie expert! hehe

message 4: by Kolleen (last edited Aug 06, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Kolleen i have this on my to read list, even though i'm not a fan of zombies, i'm really intrigued by all the reviews!

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette No, this book is EPIC- regardless of my Zombie loving status!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Thanks for the rec Ashley. Looks like I'll have to read this one with all the lights on.

♥ Sarah ♥ Ashley wrote: "No, this book is EPIC- regardless of my Zombie loving status!"

lol Okay sweet. I shall check it out. :]

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric guess Im gona have to start reading it. I downloaded it onto my Ipod, so which means less driving and more reading..on the bus to work.

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I am really looking forward to reading this one, especially after reading your review of it! :)