Vivian Valvano's Reviews > Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself

Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda

F 50x66
Apr 30, 11

Read in April, 2011

I would not have read this if it hadn't been assigned for one of my book groups for June. And the day that I finished reading (it only took 2 days of a couple of hours here and there), the June facilitator decided to change her book to GONE BABY, GONE! Anyway, I love Alan Alda as an actor (I have easily seen every single episode of M*A*S*H at least 5 times) and as a good person and humanitarian. But as a writer-distiller of his thoughts and reflections, he can tend to get a bit full of himself, holier than thou, and repetitive. I could definitely have done without the lloooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggg excerpts of numerous commencement and other addresses that he has given. But he is a fine and decent human being whose heart and mind are in the right place, and I respect him. The 2 stars are a critique of book, not author. I liked his comments about his increasing interest in Richard Feynman very much. Excellent quote from Feynman: "Not knowing is much more interesting than believing an answer which might be wrong."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself.