C.E. Hart's Reviews > Unconventional

Sep 10, 2015

bookshelves: christian-fiction, contemporary-fiction
Read on May 12, 2011

Unconventional, by J.J. Hebert

This is … well … an unconventional story.

James Frost, a writer with low self-esteem and self-worth, struggles to live out his dream of becoming a successful novelist. He writes (and rewrites) whenever he finds time between eating, sleeping, and working as a janitor in his father's cleaning business. He hates his job and how people judge him for being 'only a janitor'--it makes him feel invisible. Although his writing fills his heart, his head is full of self loathing and doubt, and belief that he's undeserving of success. His 'conventional' peers and work-mates think his ideas of becoming published are pipe dreams and give him little or no sincere validation or encouragement.

The only true support he gets is from four fabulous individuals: Mitch, his high school baseball coach and mentor, Arthur, his friend and editor, Meranda, an iconic author and adopted `grandmother', and Leigh, his Christian girlfriend. Without them in his life, his dreams would crumble and he'd be a broken man.

This story is infused with a myriad of emotions. It takes the reader on a rollercoaster of fear, dread, doubt, sorrow, and shame, as well as surprise and elation. I love a story that makes me FEEL, and this one certainly did. The first person narrative is engaging and draws the reader into the character. As a writer myself, I could relate to so many of the doubts, fears, and adversities James Frost expressed.

Unconventional is an inspiring story of determination, perseverance, faith and forgiveness. I've no doubt you'll close this book feeling satisfied and empowered.

A quote by Winston Churchill came to mind that sums up one of the themes of this book.
"Never, never, never give up!"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unconventional.

05/12/2011 page 124