Lesley's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

May 06, 11

Recommended for: anyone who enjoyed the Twilight books
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2011

I was very interested in some of the concepts in this book -- those dealing with alchemy, evolution & magic. Unfortunately, the writing and the "romance" between two main characters were a turn-off. In a lot of places, the writing/description is overwrought and the book was altogether too long. In the end, I felt like this was a cross between the Outlander series and Twilight -- as interesting in some ways as Outlander but not as well written, and I liked the characters and their relationships more in the outlander series. Of course, those characters do evolve over time and since this is the first in a trilogy maybe there is room for that to happen here as well. I haven't decided yet if I will read the other two when they come out.

05/03/2011 "Almost done. It's interesting and irritating. I really like the alchemy and the oxford setting but I loathe the main "romantic" relationship. It's kind of like an overwrought cross between the Outlander series (which I enjoy) and Twilight (ick!)."