Mary's Reviews > Room

5208181
Apr 30, 2011

bookshelves: can-t-put-it-down, fiction, favorites, finished-2011, nook
Read from April 30 to May 03, 2011

Room took some getting used to at first. Told entirely from a five-year-old's perspective, Jack lives in Room with his Ma. Ma was kidnapped at age 19 by a man and then held prisoner in this tiny room. She works as hard as she can to make the life for Jack enjoyable, but after he turns five she comes up with a plan to get them Outside. The realizations of how horrible it was in Room for Ma, but how startling it is to come out after seven years into the "real world" and face the media attention while trying to shield a son that she truly loves - I almost cried a lot while reading this book. It was truly a beautiful read of a parent/child bond that transcended even the most horrible circumstances. Seeing other people's reactions through Jack's eyes also made it a lot more interesting - his unique voice in telling the story laid things out in a stark and honest way. I loved this book and I'm glad I stumbled upon it while browsing through Barnes & Noble's website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

05/02/2011
66.0% "This book is so different and so great. I'm glad I decided to try it out."