Emily's Reviews > Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo

Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo by Greg Leitich Smith

Apr 30, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, audio, friendship, good-for-boys, ya-fiction
Read in April, 2011

I enjoyed this book. My boyfriend picked it out as an audio book for a recent trip and we both laughed and found it to be a nice, fun listen. The book is told from alternating viewpoints of three middle school students, and the audio book has a different narrator for each character, which is nice. My favorite subplot involved Shohei, a boy adapted from Japan by Irish parents. His parents think it is important to get in touch with his Japanese heritage, and his protest is particularly amusing and colorful (there is neon-green hair dye involved). I found the science teacher to be a bit too much of a caricature of a mean teacher to be believable. The librarian character starts out as a nice break from the stereotype, but then she makes some decisions I found to be not in line with the character I had met earlier, so that was a bit confusing to me.

Reading Scavenger Hunt: Stuffed animal (It was just a mention, but it was there. And it was a porcupine!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo.

Camille I thought the audiobook was excellent. The performances were just right.