Joy's Reviews > The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

May 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-magic, contemporary-fiction
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

Sarah Addison Allen is still in her element. This is the third book I've read and there's still her magic touch. I've seen it somewhere that she writes of "magical realism", and for me there's always that mystic feel to her book. Like whenever I stare at the covers, I know there's something special inside the book, and the story is shrouded in mystery.

Her style isn't difficult to grasp, with her previous books "Garden Spells", and "The Sugar Queen", there are a lot of similarities here. First is the setting is in a small town, where there are strange goings-on, there's always a tragedy, getting back love lost, finding new love, acceptance, and of course, the weird yet wonderful things that make the town special. and there's always the unlikely friendships. There's always a generation of a family where there's an affliction, and her writing style is just brilliant, the way she wove all those and produced another entertaining read.

I mentioned the above, it's all in her books and I never get tired of them. There's something about Ms Allen's writing that tugs at me, like the book that lures me with a little voice that says "read it! read it 'til the last page", so I did, and found that the story is open ended, and there are a lot of possibilities.

So that's for my overall assessment. While the story's mystery unwrapped, I liked the emotion that ran with it. I felt heavy when I read about Julia's history, I felt a kinship with her because I'm a baker as well, though not suicidal like her. I liked the idea of baking as a stress release, while Emily is coping with facing the truth of her mother's history. I loved how the characters all got what they wanted, and the romance in the air with a little lust just did the trick.

I really liked this book and I recommend this to anyone who's looking for a breather and a feel-good book. I read it in one sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.