Shirley Marr's Reviews > The Underdog

The Underdog by Markus Zusak

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: aussie-ya
Read on April 30, 2011

Like others, I also chose to read this primarily as it is Markus Zusak's first novel. It's written in his trademark existentialist, charmingly goofy and self-degrading style. The book revolves around Cameron Wolfe and the entire Wolfe 'clan'. Highly autobiographical I suspect (spray jacket wearing Cameron, reminds me of spray jacket wearing Markus) and loose in structure and plot, but Zusak's characterisation and thematic adhesion carries this one through to the end for me.

I enjoyed it. I love his unique voice, adjective choices and his use of short choppy sentences. So it didn't matter for me that this was just a story about a time in a boy's life and that there was no Big Bad to defeat, no twists or turns, no real lesson to learn. I was happy to enjoy the story as told. In all, this seminal piece provides an interesting study in understanding the talent that eventually culminated in his magnum opus that is The Book Thief.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underdog.

04/30/2011 page 1
04/30/2011 page 1
1.0% "Ahhh, first line makes me smile. Markus makes me smile *retreats to room*" 8 comments