Krista the Bald Avenger's Reviews > Shattered Wings

Shattered Wings by Bryan Healey

May 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, advanced-readers-copy, awesome-cover, fiction, glbt, politics, romance-erotica, sent-by-author, reviewed, favourite-reads, made-me-cry, 5-stars
Recommended to Krista the Bald Avenger by: Author
Recommended for: everyone
Read from May 06 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

My deepest thanks to Bryan Healey for sending me an ARC of this book to review.

What do you do when your life is turned tragically upside down? In Shattered Wings, we are introduced to a family--John, his spouse Charlie, and their adopted daughter Cassie. While Charlie works at home to be with their daughter, John is a white collar worker with a secure job. Until it isn't. Laid off in the dwindling economy, John decides to not tell Charlie. In a series of flashbacks, we are thrust into feeling his desperation as job interviews come and go, the memories of his meeting Charlie, and welcoming their daughter. His fears thrust him back into a life that could end in tragedy.

I was struck by the stark cover of Healey's book--always a promising sign. I was not disappointed. Healey has written a very timely novel that literally moved me to tears--which is hard to do and to me, signifies a book that not only satisfies but lingers in my head. His style of writing is lyrical but not overdone.

One sign of his brilliant talent is that when I began reading, I envisioned the narrator to be a woman. It's only a few pages in do I realize that this is a gay couple. I went back to the beginning to re-read so that I had the right picture in my head. But truly, aside from a few places in the book, John and Charlie are "every family" and quite accessible to any reader. I find it wonderful, as a bisexual woman, to find a novel that is modern and mainstream and doesn't need to feel like it has to be different because it features a gay couple.

A bit of a tongue-in-cheek warning: there are no chapters. So if you're a voracious reader like I am, you may find yourself devouring this book far too quickly or staying up into the wee hours of the morning. It's nearly impossible to pace yourself with such a wonderful book in hand.

I heartily recommend Shattered Wings, *need* to find Healy's other work, and cannot wait for more to come. I think his literary voice will go far!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Wings.