Tim's Reviews > Uncivilized Beasts and Shameless Hellions: Travels with an NPR Correspondent

Uncivilized Beasts and Shameless Hellions by John F. Burnett

Apr 07, 08

Read in April, 2008

Having always enjoyed NPR, I recently discovered that their reporters are fairly entertaining writers as well. I didn’t strike out to find other reporters who’d published books, but after reading Sarah Vowell, I was interested in picking up John Burnett’s book when I noticed he too reported for NPR.

Not unlike Vowell, Burnett has a breezy, relaxed style to his writing that’s instantly accessible and easy to devour. It’s not, however, devoid of emotion, as he frequently finds himself in the middle of anguishing environments – post Katrina New Orleans, the Iraqi invasion, and the killing fields of Kosovo to name a few. Even though the last third of the book – Rogues & Heroes – is slightly less cohesive than the first two-thirds, Burnett’s writing is engaging enough to make the lack of uniformity necessary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncivilized Beasts and Shameless Hellions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Glenn I've been wanting to read this one. I'll be interested in what you think of it!