Christina's Reviews > The Man in the Iron Mask

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in April, 2011

I wish I could give this three stars, but this book truly was "just okay." The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After must be read before this book, otherwise you will be very confused. I'm surprised that The Man in the Iron Mask is more famous than Twenty Years After (although neither are good stand-alone novels; they really require reading the previous novels first) because I found TYA to be much more humorous, more exciting, and more engaging all around. The only thing I liked more about TMitIM is that the particular translation I read, which is much newer than the translation of TYA that I had read, made for smooth and easy reading. (The translations of TTM and TYA I read were tiring to read at times.) The last ~300 pages of TMitIM are not very interesting, although I will give Dumas credit for always writing good "death and grieving" scenes. I read this trilogy because The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book and I was hoping for something similar, but these three books are nothing like it. The first two are humorous, light-hearted, and adventurous, but the last one (TMitIM) is not particularly engaging and its only purpose seems to be to conclude the story and lives of the four protagonists.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Iron Mask.

Quotes Christina Liked

Alexandre Dumas
“I am strong against everything, except against the death of those I love. He who dies gains; he who sees others die loses.”
Alexandre Dumas, The Man in the Iron Mask