Cassie's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Oct 22, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, fantasy
Read from May 12 to October 22, 2011

It took me a few tries to get into this book, but the beginning was really worth rereading once I finished. Locke was a great character. One of his best traits was that he really can't fight very well. This was refreshing, considering the number of protagonists who are both clever and seem to be amazing fighters. I loved the twins too.

The description of this book misled me. I thought there was going to be a bunch of successful capers, then the big one. But Locke and company seemed to be playing from behind for most of the book. I enjoyed the trickery and general plot. The different points of view came together very well. I thought the first half of the book was well done.

The reason I may not continue with the next book is the overabundance of flowery language in this one. Some chapters were asides that had little bearing, from what I could see, on the main events. Others were important, and those were interesting to read. There was too much description that I could have gleaned from the map in the beginning. I was also disappointed with the Gray King's motive because it seemed to have come from nowhere. I wish the wrap-up had been as well-planned as the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

05/12/2011 page 1