Wendy Darling's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

May 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: realistic-fiction, young-adult, read-2011, brain-candy, france
Read in May, 2011

3.5 stars I resisted this book for the longest time because chick-lit isn't really my thing, but it really is just as super cute as everyone says. I was surprised at how engrossing the story is and by much I liked Anna, who is believably flawed and funny and well-rounded. The relationships between her and her friends as well as between her and her crush feel real and nuanced and warm, and even though they all make mistakes, it's so great to read about teenagers who are actually nice to each other. I like St. Clair a lot too, although I'm not as crazy about him as some of my friends are...he let the "I'm taken" thing drag on a little too much for my comfort. Still, the friendship and the romance between him and Anna are very cute and did win me over.

The author also does a great job of making Paris come alive as a place to live in--not just visit--and the descriptions of Anna exploring a new city for the first time really make me really miss all those summers I spent abroad. A fun, fluffy book for anyone who's looking for a cute romantic story with likable characters and a picture perfect setting.
57 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Emily Wendy! I felt exactly the same way about this book. Defiinitely 3/3.5 stars for me. I'll probably still read Lola though :)

Wendy Darling Oh, good! And I will probably be reading Lola too. Though I hear the set-up is sort of similar to this book...

Tandie I just read this with my 14yo daughter. Fun! She started Isla & the Happily Ever After, so I am too. It's bugging me to read out of order though!

message 4: by Moni (new)

Moni I can't help but feel way different about the book. I thought it was irritating that she thinks she can flirt with someone's bf and because she thinks said girlfriend is a bitch it's ok. As a person who's traveled and is a film geek, how is she so unaware of French cinema and so narrow-minded about France? I felt like her only previous info she had on France was a drunkard's summary of Madeline and whatever she remembered from world history class while she slept through it. I don't care if characters5 are like able but I would hope they're either intelligent or at least ignorant but apologetic and aware that they are. Ana however is neither rod these, she's just plain stupid and a hypocrit