Nafiza's Reviews > The Day Before

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Apr 02, 13

bookshelves: 2012, verse-novels, recommend-to-friends, books-i-own
Read in September, 2012

Lisa Schroeder’s most recent verse novel is, in my opinion, her strongest. The length of the novel spans one entire day and during this one day, Schroeder’s protagonist makes important decisions, meets a life changing person and comes to poignant realizations. While this would take an incredible amount of skill to render in prose form, I found that Schroeder’s verse novel makes this one incredibly long and filled day not just believable but also relatable. When Amber meets Cade there is an instant awareness but rather than it being love, she intuits that this person is perhaps feeling similar to her emotionally. They start off as strangers and while in the end, it is close to love, it is not love – not the whole insta-I want to be with you forever – kinda love so popular in certain YA novels.

But what I really wanted to talk about is Schroeder’s poetry. I felt she improved in spades from her ghost novels which, let’s be honest here, were sentimental but not really poetic milestones. The verses in The Day Before are spare, sparse and hard hitting. Not a single word is superfluous and I loved this succinct style because it was the perfect medium through which Amber and Cade’s individual melancholies could be expressed. The attention to detail, the crispness of the imagery, the tension running parallel to the words, the simplicity of the verses – these all worked to create the beauty that is The Day Before.

I liked how both Amber and Cade’s conflicts are internal and their struggle with their conflicts also signify their growth as people. Amber’s fear about losing her family and Cade’s fear that doing the right thing may lead to terrible results are so easy to relate to. Many of us have been in the same position at one time or another in our lives. I recommend this book, you guys. It’s beautiful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day Before.