Jeremy's Reviews > The Crying of Lot 49

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

Jul 19, 14

bookshelves: american-fiction
Read from April 29 to 30, 2011

I've never read Pynchon before, but his style, those winding, iridescent sentences seem like an important reference point for a lot of American authors who come after him, people like Don Delillo, Donald Barthelme, David Foster-Wallace, Johnathan Franzen, Neal Stephenson, William Gibson etc. He's able to synthesize obscurant historical references, pop culture, conspiratorial paranoia and drug use into this funky, swirling melange. It would almost be a kind of metaphysics, if it wasn't so kooky and consistently playful. Reading this, it feels like someone peeling off the surface of postwar American life, showing you this messy, bizarre, occasionally terrifying blend of forces that might have it in for you, or might just be yanking your chain. Or maybe both.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying of Lot 49.

message 1: by tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

tim I really enjoy your style of succinct review writing that reaches for the core of and economically sums up each book you read. TCoL49 was my introduction to Pynchon as well. If ever you feel inclined to read others by him, Against The Day and Mason & Dixon are my personal favorites. They are even more playful, perplexing, and otherwise a whole lot of fun.

Jeremy Thanks. I'm sure I'll get to his other stuff one day. I think it would make my head spin to read him all at once.