Romancing the Book's Reviews > Hollywood Savage

Hollywood Savage by Kristin McCloy

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, contemporary

What Stephanie Thought: I wasn't sure whether to be disgusted, or enraptured with this book. The plot was very poor: man has an affair with a woman who is completely different from his wife; man battles depression; man goes back to wife (without even telling her about the other woman!).

Plot notwithstanding, I'll talk about the conveyed emotions. Miles definitely tells it how it is, and every word is so raw and honest, it really haunted me. He was such a cynical, smart-assed guy whose voice, though disturbing, was unbelievably intriguing.

It was a really difficult read because the prose was in journal format. There were no chapters, and Miles [McCloy] seemed to just ramble on about whatever was on his mind. I liked Miles, but I didn't like McCloy. Her voice sounds extremely snobbish, and that's very off-putting. She characterizes Miles as arrogant and I couldn't get myself to really feel sympathy for him. However, as a character, he was strong, and I liked how he personified things poetically.
Overall, I think it was a good tragic romance, but I think it really could have been better with dialogue and plot structure. I recommend this to anyone who has the patience to read through a bunch of fluff before getting to the actual point!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollywood Savage.