Jennie's Reviews > Eona: The Last Dragoneye

Eona by Alison Goodman

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, romance, ya
Recommended for: people who've read Eon
Read in February, 2011

Disappointing after the sweeping epic that was Eon: Dragoneye Reborn. I would have rated it lower, but I figured I wasn't being fair. My expectations were high after Eon, which was an extremely unique entry into the bloated YA fantasy/supernatural genre -- featuring dragons, Eastern influences, and subversive gender issues.

Eona concludes the story started in Eon. Goodman's prose and plot are rushed; I felt that the events would have been better spread out over two novels to make the saga a trilogy. What started as fairly epic high-fantasy in Eon got dumbed down to very "teen" romance, some of which really grossed me out. I felt that the romance was mostly unnecessary, or so poorly developed that it should have been left out. There's a really disgusting love triangle that involves a guy who tried to rape her in the first book; which is incredibly ill-conceived. All of the book, frankly, has humungous consent issues to the point it's a stomach-churning theme. Most of her main characters behave very badly -- the "good guys" include a man who's a murderer and rapist, a girl with some serious control issues, and a boy with hilariously (and not in a good way) self-defeating pride. So it's no wonder that the "bad guys" are parodies, detailed as even more unscrupulous rapists, power-mongers, and outright demons.

It's really disappointing that such a good set-up had to scrimp on the plot for developing characters I frankly didn't give a damn about -- because they all crossed the Moral Event Horizon five times and turned around to spit on it (oh, and she kills off the only "good guys" that do not do terrible things). Read it only if you've already read Eon and anxious to see how it ends. Otherwise, this is a train-wreck of everything terrible about teen fiction: anti-feminist stomach churning themes, poor character development, and more nasty unhealthy sex (this includes rape, prostitution, sexism, and coerced sexual activity, not to mention really unhealthy relationships based on lies and mutual lust for power) than anyone could really stand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie I I completely agree. I was so confused by the great reviews this book is getting. I was starting to think "Did we all...read the same book?" And now I see we did. Great review.

Jennie Stephanie wrote: "I completely agree. I was so confused by the great reviews this book is getting. I was starting to think "Did we all...read the same book?" And now I see we did. Great review."

I was really puzzled too. If someone told me that different authors respectively wrote the first and second books, I would have believed it.

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 15, 2011 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephanie I Me too. Besides being confused, I'm really disappointed about how limited Eona became. She fell into the stereotype of women with power: using their sexuality (and basically sex) to get it. I'm just really sad about how this book went.

Jennie Stephanie wrote: "Me too. Besides being confused, I'm really disappointed about how limited Eona became. She fell into the stereotype of women with power: using their sexuality (and basically sex) to get it."

That was the most baffling part of the book, for me. She had lived her teenage life up to that point (and all of puberty) as a boy, and a crippled boy at that. Why would she be interested at all in displaying stereotypical female submissive sexuality, or even know how to do so?

Stephanie I Good point! Eona says something about her five years of boyhood keeps her from being a good girl, or something along those lines. This book started off well, the way it should of. Then, sometime after that first encounter with Kygo-- or maybe it was after they rescued Ido?-- it started going downhill. It's so strange. I can't reconcile the rest of the book to the beginning.

message 6: by Denae (new)

Denae Hmm. I haven't even read the second one, but it sounds like all the pieces of the first that I disliked are only amplified in Eona. Very disappointing. Thanks for the warning.

Stephanie I Denae wrote: "Hmm. I haven't even read the second one, but it sounds like all the pieces of the first that I disliked are only amplified in Eona. Very disappointing. Thanks for the warning."

Yeah, I wouldn't want you to waste your time with this one unless you really want to know the ending. It's a decent-sized book and it just does not deliver.