Nath's Reviews > Summer at Seaside Cove

Summer at Seaside Cove by Jacquie D'Alessandro

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, read-2011
Read from July 04 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** 4.5/5 (B+)

Looking back at Summer at Seaside Cove, there's nothing about it that screams wowzer... and yet, it turned out to be a great read :)

I really can't say how much I enjoyed Summer at Seaside Cove. A big part of it were the characters, especially Jamie and Nick. They were interesting and likable characters whom you could relate to and I guess that's why they felt real. I liked the fact that they got to know each other better, amending their first impressions, and appreciate each other before giving to attraction and jumping into bed. I like how supporting Nick was towards Jamie's problems. In a way, he understood what she was going through and shared his experience with her, but never pushed her to take a decision. He definitively was what she needed :) So definitively a good romance here :) Oh and to complete the picture, I thought Godiva was adorable!! :) She was just so fun to read about, vibrant, and really put a smile on my face while I read the book... and I think she set the tone of the book LOL.

While the story of Summer at Seaside Cove was not very original - burn-out heroine going away to find herself, Ms D'Alessandro managed to surprise me with some twists and that was unexpected, but in a really good way :) The twists weren't major or anything, but it made the book stand out for me. For example, the simple fact that Laurel was Jamie's older half-sister. From the blurb, I immediately assumed that Laurel was the annoying, spoiled, inconsiderate little sister... and so finding out that Laurel was actually older was refreshing. Also the part with Jamie's mother - did not expect! I also think Ms D'Alessandro did a great job with these secondary characters, fleshing them just enough to be interesting, but not enough that they stole the spotlight from Jamie and Nick and become annoying.

Finally, kudos to Ms D'Alessandro for striking just the right tone with Summer at Seaside Cove. If I had to describe the book, it'd be fluff with some depth LOL. I know, I know, how can a book be fluffy and deep at the same time? I can't explain it, but that's exactly what Ms D'Alessandro achieved LOL. So I guess it's really a question of balance :) I think it's because all the conflicts that Ms D'Alessandro introduced were resolved and resolved in a satisfactory fashion instead of just being swept aside or tied in a nice knot. I liked that the characters actually communicate, talk to each other to resolve these conflicts :)

I've read Ms D'Alessandro before and this is definitively my favorite book of hers :) True, there's nothing that special about Summer at Seaside Cove storyline, but it hit the right spot :) As such, I highly recommend it as a summer read and if you don't believe me, you can read Hils's review :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer at Seaside Cove.