Matthew's Reviews > The Marvelous Mud Washing Machine

The Marvelous Mud Washing Machine by Patty Wolcott

Mar 14, 12

Read on April 29, 2011, read count: 1

This is a simple example of one of those beginning to read books. The washing machine that the boy finds in the forest behind his house of all places looks like a feeble attempt at a cross between a Dr. Suess style musical instrument and the plumbing at the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA. It's very colorful, hard to make sense of, and probably not functional for the most part. If you read this, don't be surprised to find yourself describing everything as marvelous, the author's adjective of choice. It serves its purpose, mostly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marvelous Mud Washing Machine.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

2 stars?!?!?

Matthew I just thought it was okay. Not good, not great, not terrible. Kids I've read it with were kind of blah about it too. It just didn't that necessary something to excite my audience.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand.. All I know is that out of all the children's books I read (or was read to) as a child this one, for one reason or another always stood out. It really brought me to that other magical world or sheer imagination. Something as silly as a washing machine in the woods - who would have "thunk". Either way I guess it affected different people different ways :-)

Matthew That was really well stated. I really don't have anything against it, and I'm glad anytime a book has a big audience of appreciative fans. I guess it just wasn't the book for my readers and me. We gave it an honest try though.