Ryan's Reviews > The Lighthouse Land

The Lighthouse Land by Adrian McKinty

Feb 15, 09

bookshelves: drama, laugher, ya, irish
Read in February, 2009

I picked up this book because I've read the other McKinty novels and really liked them. Also because I couldn't quite figure out how he'd 'tone' down what seems to be his natural writing style to fit with the 'young adult' crowd. I'd say, for the most part, this book was written for anyone older than, say, fifth grade. In fact, there were more than a few times that I felt the dialogue and story telling was very elementary and almost forcedly so.

The story has some interesting sci-fi/fantasy parts to it which I typically found interesting. I think it's the type of thing that youngsters could get in to. But, again, I also think there are more than a handful of parts that I think today's kids would see right through and think they're boring.

All in all, it's not a bad story, like I said, there's some interesting concepts going on in there and because there are 3 stories and I didn't hate this one, I suspect I'll pick up #2 sometime in the future. If you've read McKinty's adult books and expect an edgy provocative ya novel, you'll be disappointed by this book. If you're looking for a simple fantasy ya book, this one won't be the worst one you'd read in that genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lighthouse Land.