Karen's Reviews > Drama Queen

Apr 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chapter-books-or-early-readers, at-bjhs
Read in April, 2011

Kylie Jean's dream in life is to be a beauty queen. Her momma reminds her "Pretty is, as pretty does," but it's really hard to be nice to the new girl, Paula, who is mean to Kylie Jean and takes her coveted role of the Queen of Hearts in the school play.

This is a cute little read- I love Picture Window books' style - with gray and pink illustrations scattered throughout, a glossary, and discussion and journal questions. I was a little disappointed in the fact that Kylie Jean's main goal in life was to be a pageant queen (shades of Toddlers and Tiaras), but she has a sweet personality that does make her a good role model. Kylie Jean isn't quite as sassy and funny as Junie B. or as adventurous as Ramona or Judy Moody, but fans of those series should like this one.

On a side note, I thought I might get my 7-year old son to read this one with me, since he thinks Junie B. is hilarious. He took one look at the pinkness and gave me a look of disgust. There may not be a lot of cross-over appeal here!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drama Queen.

03/16 marked as: read