Norman LaFave's Reviews > The Illuminatus! Trilogy

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea

Apr 29, 2011

This was the strangest book I have ever read. I almost gave up a couple of times but I am glad I didn't.

The book presents every conspiracy theory known to man in a fashion that seems to defy coherent timeline and consistency. It is as if each chapter was written independently, with only the faintest of connecting threads. I often thought that I was reading someone's acid induced musings.
It wasn't until I had read well into the book that I realized there actually was a pattern to the story. It was sort of like looking at a TV screen with your eye an inch from the screen. Everything looks random and disconnected. It isn't until you back away do you see that the pixels form an actual picture.
I found this unique approach to be fascinating once I understood what the authors intended. The story comes together not through a timeline, but like seemingly random brush strokes on a canvas makes a painting.
Couple this with a truly paranoid story, strange characters, sexual perversion, and lots of drugs, and you have a truly unique and disconcerting tale that leaves you wondering if you had been secretly slipped LSD while you were reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illuminatus! Trilogy.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Laham I remember seeing this! My mom used to read that kind of stuff, this, Books by Zacharias Sitchkin(?) and David Icke. They must be really interesting...

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Calderón I've always had an interest in conspiracy theories but just never had the chance to find something that wasn't biased. I will definitely give this a read once I finish the rest of my summer reading!

Thanks LaFave!

Gary Linton 'acid induced musings' yes exactly.