Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Unearthly

Apr 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: review-books
Read from May 07 to 15, 2011

I'd been looking forward to getting my hands on this book ever since I saw the US cover despite it being angel themed (a genre I don't always get on it). I am pleased to say that I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable read and I am looking forward to book 2.

Clara is part angel and she is still learning what that means. She has been having visions to do with what her mother says is her purpose and her family have moved half way across the country in a bid to find out more about what her purpose might be. The thing I loved about Clara is that despite all her supernatural abilities underneath it all she was a typical teenager getting to grips with everything. Yes is is bright which means in school but she struggles with her angel side and is constantly frustrated at what doesn't come easy for her, like flying.

Unearthly is a bit of a love triangle with a twist. Clara moves across the country to be closer to the mysterious gorgeous boy she is "destined" to save but in the meantime she meets someone else who she very quickly (in a way only teenagers do) falls hopelessly in love with him which refocuses her attention somewhat. I enjoyed seeing how Clara struggled with her emotions and the need to balance what she ought to be doing with what she wanted to do.

What this book also did well was its characterisation. I loved meeting loads of the secondary characters as they were well written and enjoyed seeing how they interacted with Clara.

The only bit of this book that I wasn't as keen on was the ending because while it does tie some things up it also throws open a whole host of other things which I found extremely frustrating. Book 2 better give me some answers or I will be cross!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.