Mike Hedley's Reviews > Frederick the Great: The Ruler, the Writer, the Man

M 50x66
Apr 29, 11

did not like it
Read in April, 2011

Forget it. If you are a serious student of Frederick the Great, there are far better books about this amazing man around. To be frank, I got only a few pages into this nonsense. The preface describes the "rape of Silesia" and FtG as "repulsive". Since my library copy was printed in 1947, I had to look at the cover- I thought I was reading a book about Stalin! The prose had that "50s US anti-Communist" ring to it. Of course, WWII was fresh in the author's mind when this was written, and anything German was automatically "evil", and of course, WWII was Frederick the Great's fault (no Prussia, no Germany, no Hitler, is the way the logic goes). There are a great many colourful adjectives, little substance, maybe the dates are correct, useless otherwise for research. My essay on FtG will mention this book only to show that there are negative views of FtG, otherwise, it belongs in the bin. While I'm looking to purchase Davis Fraser's much more modern (both in prose, and in enjoyment) book on FtG for my own collection, this work by Gooch wouldn't find a place in my library even if my University library decided to give Gooch to me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frederick the Great.