Nikos79's Reviews > The Invisible Mountain

The Invisible Mountain by Carolina De Robertis

Apr 29, 2011

Read from December 10 to 15, 2011

I have to be honest. I wouldn't have read this book if it wouldn't be part of an offer by its publisher in my country. I picked it up as a third choice of a 3 books offer from a specific list along with "Disgrace" and "Out stealing horses". I had it a long time unread in my bookshelf and unexpectedly i liked it more than the other two. In fact i loved it.

With this book being the debut novel of De Robertis i 'm very very optimistic for this author. I think it's an extraordinary debut. A debut that promises a great writing career. It's the story of three generations of women, grandmother, mother and daughter, starting from the last days of 19th century and ending in 1990. These three women are the main characters of this book but not the only since there is a huge range of male and female characters through the pages without making it difficult to focus on it. Note: Even the main characters are female the book does not target at women. It's a book for everyone that seeks a delicious reading. Extremely well-written, it is full of images, sounds, smells of Latin America. The same time in the background the history of Uruguay but not only since there are many elements about Argentina and Brazil and political background as well. Superb characters. Writing is either lyric, poetic, romantic and rough other times, a combination that makes you stuck on the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Mountain.