Lance's Reviews > The Learning Curve

The Learning Curve by Matthew V. Lippart

2076591
May 21, 11

Read from April 29 to May 19, 2011

I won this book during a Good Reads contest and am glad that I did! This was an enjoyable, entertaining read. The story moves along nicely and I felt comfortable and at home in the Land of Nud. I love the fantasy genre and this satisfied my craving with enjoyable twists and turns along the way. The main characters were well-developed and in particular I enjoyed Skuld. One strength I observed in this novel were the secondary characters. Various characters appear as necessary vehicles to drive the story forward to its next series of events, and these minor characters are not glossed over – for their brief appearances, they are just as colorful and come alive on the page just as much as the main characters. I enjoyed Gideon’s growth along the way as well; the way in which his friends helped him discover (or begin to discover) his true motivations and purpose sets up one of the primary themes of the book. And of course – while Gideon and his gang get swept up in the grand adventure of it all, this book never forgets its chief prose - humor. This balance between telling a rousing tale that is actually moving and compelling – but not taking itself too seriously – is deftly accomplished by the author. There are many sections that are downright hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud at points. Overall – a good read and highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Learning Curve.