BookAmbler's Reviews > Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal

Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre

May 10, 11

Read from April 28 to May 08, 2011

I thought this book was great... but I'm not quite sure why I liked it so much! Didn't realise until I started it that it's a biography - I think the only non-fiction World Book Night book.

Agent Zigzag was a bit of a lad, to say the least, but the story is very engaging. Or it could just be that Ben MacIntyre is an excellent writer... I'll certainly look out for more books by him.

I was struck by how complimentary MacIntyre is about 'the British chaps' involved with Zigzag... all except the one near the end. But see quote by Goring below! Hard to say any more about the book without introducing spoilers.

Reichsmarschall Herman Goring, Head of the Luftwaffe, was particularly infuriated by the persistent little Mosquito; the mere mention of the plane could send him into a rage. 'It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito,' he once ranted. 'I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed that they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agent Zigzag.