Michelle's Reviews > Corpse Pose

May 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: yoga-fiction
Read in May, 2011

Cute. I'm a yoga fan, so that's why I picked this up. It's only been in the past several years that I've learned of themed mystery books (wine, coffee shops, yoga, etc.) I'm normally not a mystery book fan, but if there's a theme I like, I'll try it. I've read a lot of Nevada Barr's books because they are usually set in a national park, but hers are darker than I prefer. Anyway...

This was cute, and I plan to read the others in the Mantra for Murder series. It was light and it kept my interest enough to finish it.

I liked the variety of characters. There was a wide assortment of both genders and all ages. Most were fleshed out enough to be be very visual. The wide cast of characters was a strong point for the book.

Some of the protagonist's inner thoughts were weak and too youthful for the way the character was described at age 35.

I liked the storyline, and that enough information was giving to make me feel like I was solving the mystery, too. Who doesn't like feeling smart? :)

I could have done without the romantic subplot though. I love romcom movies when they are done well, but I also like stories that show strong, smart females who are happy with their single lives and happy to be in a relationship. Any person, male or female, who whines about being single annoys me--live your life and love your life the way it is, whatever it may be. The fact that the protagonist was unhappy about being single and didn't seem happy again until a man entered her life annoyed me. I felt like it was a Harlequin romance with a mystery twist. It will be interesting to see if the others in the series follow this pattern.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corpse Pose.