Patrick O'Neil's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

May 04, 11

Okay, wtf is it with most science fiction books? Why does there always gotta be "strange" new things that aren't that strange and certainly aren't new - they just have a different name. Like it's only 100 years in the future and the world has blown up and what, English completely changed into cryptic vague utterances? I just don't get it. Nope. I just can't read it. Makes me feel like I'm building something without the blueprints. Like I started reading in the middle and I have no idea who the characters are and ultimately I end up not giving a damn and throwing the book across the room.

A good friend/fellow writer that I respect and love recommended Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. She said, "yeah, it's SciFi, but it's got political implications of food being the deciding factor for world domination, mondo whack religion, and violence. Plus there's sex." The latter of which of course perked my interest - yeah, I'm shallow. But even the premiss of kinky android sex and quasi-religious fanatics can't keep a plot going if there's nothing but ambiguous references to "stuff" that happened and is now the reason life is the way it is. I could use a little more explanation. I could use a little more backstory. I could use a damn instruction manual on how the whole thing is supposed to work, and who the hell all these people are, and why I should care in the first place. Ultimately, I just had to give up at page 121.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.