Alison's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Nov 08, 11

Lives up to all the hype - this YA fantasy is not to be missed!

Karou is a very cool, funky and mysterious art student who lives in Prague. She has no family, other than Issa and Brimstone, the chimera (monsters, for the uninitiated) she works for by running otherworldly errands. By using a portal in Brimstone's shop, Karou is able to travel the world in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, her errands are often dangerous and always secret, even to her best friend, Zusana. Beneath her blue hair and tattooed palms, Karou's only truth lay in her sketchbook, the stories of which are told with a sly smile so no one realizes the tales she tells are real.

Akiva, a haunted soul, and a beautiful angel who appears in the story by leaving scorched hand-prints on portal doors around the world, sees Karou. He battles with her at first, but then can't help but follow her. He quickly realizes that all paths forward are in jeopardy after Karou learns more about her past.

I first heard of DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE on Twitter from another author who gushed after reading an advanced copy. When I saw Laini Taylor at BEA - and who could miss her awesome pink hair - I didn't hesitate to meet her and grab a copy for myself.

I couldn't put it down!

"She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor of a devil's lair. She wasn't innocent now, bu she didn't know what to do about it. This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself were something was most certainly missing."

The writing...amazing.
The characters...smart and interesting.
The scenery...vivid.
The storyline...complex.

I look forward to reading more...