Michelle's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: book_club, myths-fables, fairy-tales
Read from October 13 to 14, 2011

somewhen during WWII, there was a boy on the verge of young manhood whose mother died. his grief understandably made him perhaps just a little crazy, or else opened a gap between his world and the next; either way, his nightmares were made incarnate, and he set off to understand them, if not outright do battle with them.

Connolly is more known for his detective fiction, but his infrequent fantasy novels (this one and 2009's The Gates) come highly recommended to me, and I now find myself wondering why on earth I've ignored those recommendations this long. the book starts off with a "once upon a time" and continues in the stately, deliberate pace of a fairy tale, though with plenty of divergent kinks in the old familiar stories. some of those little twists are slyly hilarious (the diamond-hoarding seven dwarfs are a communist collective), but most of them are rather sinister. insinuations of child abuse and a high body count mean that no one is safe or protected in this story, proving neatly that every coming-of-age tale about a not-yet adult main character is not automatically shelved with the kids & young adult books. full of inevitable danger and stylized peril, and graced with an ending that's utterly perfect, though that of course isn't a carbon copy of mother goose, either.

"Um, and what about 'happily ever after'?" asked David, a little uncertainly. "What does that mean?"
"Eaten quickly," said Brother Number One.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

10/13/2011 page 45
13.0% ""And there, in the darkness, he had played with them, in his way." - creepy as anything {shudder}"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becky ooo tell me how that is
i was thinking about reading it

Michelle just picked it up from the library today!