Steve's Reviews > The Four Fingers of Death

The Four Fingers of Death by Rick Moody

Apr 28, 11

I'm a fan of Rick Moody but even good writers can write too much and The Four Fingers of Death is in dire need of an editor!

The premise within the premise is gold (Mars mission goes haywire, a severed hand makes it back to Earth, proceeds to terrorize Earthlings). But as if this wasn't material enough, Moody adds another layer where we have a writer attempting to novelize this premise within the premise, previously a campy B movie, and this is where the novel--not to mention my train of thought--seems to lose control of itself.

The sentences are messy, the POV and subsequent narrative arcs change often as if to prolong the story another hundred or so pages (not necessary) and by the end readers will be wondering how it all started in the first place. And the answer won't really matter.

If you're in the mood for a wild, sci fi-esque take on literary fiction, pick up Jonathan Lethem's As She Crawled Across the Table. A much slimmer and more powerful read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Fingers of Death.