Cecily's Reviews > The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan

The Sewing Circles of Herat by Christina Lamb

Mar 17, 2008

Recommended to Cecily by: Nicci
Recommended for: Marissa, Ryan,
Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I was interested in this book after my mom read me portions of it in preparation for her book group on A Thousand Splendid Suns. What she read me caught my attention, and that attention was maintained as I read the book. Lamb is a journalist, yet sometimes her descriptions were beautiful (I guess you can assume that I don't expect beauty from journalists) and disturbing.

Ryan commented after reading the first letter from Marri that it there was an ethical raised by Lamb publishing this girl's letters, but the fact that she did gave me hope that despite all of the horrific things Lamb described--power-thirsty leaders, starvation, people's individual stories of loss and survival, the trill of battle, the terrible loss of life and culture--there was the hope that Marri expressed: going to school, getting married, not being scared anymore.

It is sad that the US contributed so much to all of the horrors in the memoir. It is even more horrific that things are improving so slowly. We know so little about the country, its people, and its history, and we, hopefully, will learn from our part in the tragedy how much harm our inattentions and misattentions can do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sewing Circles of Herat.