Robyn 's Reviews > Unnatural

Unnatural by Michael Griffo

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: gbltq, read-in-2011, vampires, ya-romance
Read in April, 2011

When I first bought this book I really only skimmed the back, I didn't even notice that it hinted at a gay romance. Not that that would have stopped me from buying it or anything, but it might have stopped me from thinking, this better not be another Twilight like novel. Luckily, it wasn't. Not really anyways. Yes, you've got vampires. And yes, there's a bit of a love triangle... or square. Let's see. You've got the main character, Michael, who's sweet, innocent, and lost. Then you've got the love interest, Ronan, who's dark and mysterious, but who's honest and has a sweet side. Then in comes Nakano, Ronan's ex. Nakano is the antagonist, or one of them. I found him rather annoying and whiny. Nakano sees that Ronan's moving on and doesn't like this. He tries to get him back, but fails. Ronan makes it pretty clear that he likes Michael, so that's pretty much the end of that.

Then you've got Brania, who's name I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce properly. (Bran-i-a? Bra-ni-a?) Michael's father has decided that he should marry her. (Yes, gay boy in the closet, how original). Brania starts chasing after Micheal, but soon realizes that he's not interested, and backs off pretty easily. Too easily. She's got some kind of secret going on, which sort of reveals it's self later on, but is still kind of confusing.

So, have you got all of this down? Because now it gets confusing. Ciaran and Ronan are half-brothers. Ronan is a hybrid-vampire. Ciaran is not. Ronan lives with their mother. Ciaran does not. Why? Well their mother has got some kind of issue with Ciaran, which, again, is sort of explained. Now add all of these half-explanations with the fact that the book goes back in forth with POVs and it all gets a little hard to follow. You can go from one paragraph with Micheal's thoughts, to the next with Ronan's thoughts, then back to Micheal. Then a few seconds later, you're reading about Brania, without much warning other than a new paragraph. Normally, multiple POVs don't bother me, but when you've got a POV for almost every character in the novel it gets annoying and a bit annoying.

I think Griffo really tried to write a good novel, with a good plot, and I give him points for trying. I really do. I just think he tried too hard to make too many things happen at once. Every character was having some mini (or major) drama, and a lot of it was happening all at once. (See, too many POVs). There were things happening and people dying that just didn't make sense to me. It seemed pointless.

I felt that the characters were well developed, and the romance between Micheal and Ronan was cute. But I'm really having problems getting past the writing style and the crazy plot. Don't get me wrong, I'll be reading the next book, I'm just not so sure I'll be buying it.

I've given Unnatural 2.5 stars, mostly for the fact that I liked the characters, and for the fact that a ya paranormal romance featuring a gay protagonist is a rare find. Again, points for trying, but it just didn't work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuleika (new)

Zuleika how exciting to see a ya lgbt pnr (lol at all these acronyms) but i have to say ...uh at the fact that the main character and the writer share the same first name. Sounds like a self-insert

Robyn Yeah, I forgot to add that to my review... I always hate when authors do that. I don't know why, it's just a pet peeve.